- 8 slices of good quality bacon
- 1/3 to 1/2 pound cooked deli ham, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 4 Kaiser rolls, split and toasted
Preheat oven to 375F.
Place bacon slices on a slotted broiler pan and bake 15 minutes, until crisp.
While the bacon is cooking, grind up the ham in a food processor.
In a bowl, combine the ground ham and turkey with the grill seasoning, hot sauce, scallions and parsley. Form 4 large patties, making them a little thinner at the center as the burgers will plump as you cook them.
Heat 2 tablespoons EVOO in a large, nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook burgers for 15 minutes, 7-8 minutes on each side.
While the burgers are cooking, heat remaining EVOO in a second skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and peppers to the skillet, and season them with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place a piece of foil over the onions and peppers, and press down to smother them. Stir the veggies every few minutes for 10 minutes, until soft, then stir in the chili sauce and reduce heat to keep warm.
To serve, place the burgers on bun bottoms, and top each with 2 slices of bacon and a mound of onions and peppers. Set bun tops in place and enjoy!