- 4 Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed into 2 inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- A couple of tablespoons grill seasoning
- 1 head broccoli, trimmed and cut into florets and 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (eyeball it), divided
- 1/2 cup milk or half-n-half
- 1 1/2 cups Gouda cheese, shredded
Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
Place potatoes in a large enough pot to accommodate both the potatoes and the broccoli, and cover them with cold water. Bring to a boil, add some salt, then reduce the heat a bit and cook until tender, about 12 minutes. Halfway through, add the broccoli.
Drizzle the chicken pieces with EVOO and sprinkle with grill seasoning. Add the chicken pieces to the hot grill pan and cook 6 minutes on each side.
Once the chicken is cooking, melt the butter in a small saucepot over medium heat. Add the flour, cook for 1 minute, then whisk in 1 cup of chicken stock and the milk or half-n-half. Cook 2-3 minutes to thicken and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the cheese, stirring in a figure-eight motion with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes, until melted. Turn off the heat and reserve.
Drain the cooked broccoli and potatoes, and return them to the hot pot to dry them out. Mash the broccoli and potatoes together with the remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock until they reach desired consistency, and season with salt and pepper.
Slice the chicken breasts on an angle. To serve, pile some smashed broccoli and potatoes on each plate and arrange the chicken pieces along the edge of the mound. Pour the Gouda Gravy on top of everything.