Chili Dog Chili with Spicy Mustard Cornbread
Rachael Shares Her Best Tips for Working with Fresh Thyme
How to Make a Negroni-Martini (Negronatini) | John Cusimano
Broadway Superstar Laura Benanti One-Ups Hugh Jackman's Most Emb…
Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Says His Music Industry Uncle's Biggest…
How to Make Shrimp Parm | Rachael Ray
How to Make Hoisin Fried Rice | Rachael Ray
This Video of Rach's Number One Feline Fan Watching Her Cook on …
Anthony Michael Hall Talks "Halloween Kills" Story: "It's classi…
You're Doing It Wrong: How to Burn + Extinguish Your Candles So …
How to Make Crispy Skin Chicken with 5-Spice and Sichuan Pepper …
How to Make Bifteki (Greek Burger Patties) | Rachael Ray
How to Tell if Someone's Been in Your House While You're Away, A…
First Makeover Back in the Studio is for a Deserving Woman Who's…
Jeremy Sisto Teases Loophole That Could Allow Him to Make an App…
How to Kick Out a Car Window If You're Kidnapped | Former CIA Of…
This 16-Year-Old Started Her Secret Identity Movement for All Wo…
How to Transition Back to "Real Clothes" with Comfortable Staple…
How to Make Chicken with Apples and Pears and Cheesy Potatoes | …
Why New York Times-Bestselling Thriller Writer Brad Meltzer Was …
- 2 8.5-ounce boxes cornbread mix, recommended brand Jiffy
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard (eyeball it)
- Butter or nonstick cooking spray (for greasing baking dish)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 16-ounce package all-beef hot dogs, cut in to small bite-size pieces
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped (add more or less depending on how much spice you like)
- 2 tablespoons (2 palmfuls) chili powder
- 2 tablespoons (2 palmfuls) cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 cups beef stock (add a little more or less depending on how loose you like your chili)
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can red beans, drained
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400F.
Prepare the cornbread according to package directions then fold in the corn kernels and spicy brown mustard. Butter or spray a 8x8 baking dish and pour in the mixture. Transfer to oven and bake according to the back of the box. Remove from oven and cut into chunks.
Once you have the cornbread working, start the chili: Heat a large, high-sided pot over medium-high heat with about 2 tablespoons EVOO, two turns of the pan. Add the chopped-up dogs and cook, stirring every now and then until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Remove and reserve the browned dogs.
Add the ground beef to the pot and use the back of a spoon or a potato masher to break it up into small pieces while it cooks and browns, about 4-5 minutes. Once the meat is brown, add the diced onions (reserving some for garnish), garlic, jalapeos, chili powder, cumin, salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Cook until the onions start to get tender, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the beef stock, crushed tomatoes, beans, reserved browned hot dogs back to the pot and season with some hot sauce, to taste. Bring the mixture up to a bubble and simmer for 10 minutes.
To serve, ladle up the Chili Dog Chili and top each portion with some cheese and some of the reserved chopped onion. Serve veggies sticks and a chunk of the cornbread alongside.