- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons hot sauce (like Red Hot or Tabasco)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches scallions, chopped
- 1 large bag plain Fritos
Heat EVOO in a large Dutch oven pot and cook the andouille sausage for about 2 minutes. Add the ground chicken and pork in an even layer; do not overcrowd the pot. Break up the meat with the back of a wooden spoon and scrape up the bits at the bottom. Continue to cook until all the meat is super-duper brown. To the pot, add the celery, onion, green bell pepper and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add the hot sauce, thyme, chili powder, cumin, paprika and cayenne, and continue cooking for another minute. Pour in the stock, crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce, bring to a bubble and turn down to a simmer. Let cook for another 20 minutes or until reduced.
Season the chili with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve with some crushed fritos and chopped scallions on top.