- 4 large Macintosh or Empire apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup instant oatmeal mix or rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, a healthy grating
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 2 ounces, 1/8 cup, golden raisins, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, walnut pieces or pecans
Preheat oven to 425F.
Cut the top off of each apple, about 1/4 - 1/2 inch from the stem end and reserve the tops. Core and hollow out each apple to make room for the filling. Sprinkle apples with lemon juice to prevent them from turning brown.
Mix the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl. Overstuff the apples and replace the tops. Bake 20 minutes in a small oven-safe dish or a muffin tin to keep the apples from tumbling over.