Originally aired September 17, 2013
- 1 bulb fennel, very thinly sliced with mandolin or large side of box grater
- 2 small yellow onions, very thinly sliced
- 4 small, about 1 pound, white skinned or Yukon gold potatoes, very thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- Salt, pepper
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
- 4 pieces of cod or firm sustainable white fish
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 thin pats of butter
- Chopped parsley
Preheat oven to 400.
In a bowl combine fennel, onion, potato, garlic, salt, pepper and just enough olive oil to lightly coat. Cut 12 x 16 pieces of parchment paper (TIP buy precut packaged half sheets from any restaurant supply store).
Arrange about 1/4 of fennel mixture in center of each parchment, drizzle with 2 tablespoons vermouth or wine per packet, top with fish, season fish with salt and pepper, top fish lemon juice, butter, parsley. Meet short ends at middle and fold over 1 inch, fold a few more turns than fold in ends to make half-moon shaped packets (sacks).
Roast fish in sacks 20 -25 minutes and remove from oven. Serve on plates, open the parcels carefully and slide contents away from vegetables and chicken. Discard the paper.