- 4 ounces walnuts (about 3/4 cup), toasted, cooled and coarsely chopped
- 1 8-ounce brick Neufchatel cheese or cream cheese, softened
- 1 10-ounce box chopped frozen spinach, defrosted and well-drained
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast, breasts butterflied to open them up like a book
- 1/3 pound thinly sliced smoky bacon or speck
- 1/4 tablespoon olive or canola oil, divided
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Rounded teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Rounded teaspoon honey
- 1 crisp apple, thinly sliced
- 4 ribs celery with leafy tops, thinly sliced on bias
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups watercress
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Combine walnuts with soft cheese, spinach, garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Season chicken with salt and pepper, and divide cheese mixture among the breasts. Close the chicken breasts over filling. Wrap the chicken with bacon or speck, slightly overlapping the slices.
Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon oil and lightly brown chicken on all sides. Transfer skillet to oven and bake 15-20 minutes to cook through.
While the chicken is in the oven, whisk up lemon juice, vinegar, Dijon, honey and remaining olive oil. Combine apple, celery, onions and greens with dressing and season with salt and pepper.
Serve stuffed chicken with salad alongside.