- 1 4- to 5-pound pork shoulder roast/butt (bone-in or out, your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced into rings
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup orange juice (about 2 oranges or use bottled)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
For the toppings (optional):
- Corn tortillas, for serving
- 4 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 2 avocados, diced
Rub salt and pepper on all sides of the meat, and brown in oil in a large skillet over high heat. Using kitchen tongs, place the browned meat into your slow cooker. In the same skillet, caramelize the onion and garlic until transparent and remove from heat. Whisk in the coriander, cumin, chipotle chile powder, honey and orange juice. Pour mixture evenly over the meat. Toss in the cinnamon stick.
Cover, and cook on low for 10 hours or on high for about 5 hours. Shred meat completely using two large forks (discard bone if you used a bone-in roast) and stir in fresh lime juice and cilantro leaves.
Serve in warmed corn tortillas with your desired toppings.