For the Chipotle and Adobo Béchamel:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons puréed chipotle and adobo sauce
For the Lasagna:
- 1 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 large yellow onion, approximately 2 cups
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen corn
- 1 11.5-ounce jar pickled jalapeños, 3/4 cup, cut into small dice
- 1 8-ounce jar tomatillo salsa
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (an 8-ounce block) queso fresco
- 1 large bag tortilla chips, thicker cut preferred
- 1 handful cilantro, minced, for garnish
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Sour cream, for serving
For the béchamel, melt the butter in a saucepot over medium-high heat. Add flour, let it cook for a minute or so and then whisk in the milk. Let thicken to coat the back of a spoon, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Add chipotle and adobo and stir to combine.
In a large sauté pan, brown the ground turkey with the cumin and coriander. Season with salt and pepper. Remove to a plate. In the same sauté pan, sauté onions until translucent, around 4 minutes. Add browned meat back into the onions along with corn, pickled jalapeños and tomatillo salsa; stir to combine.
Place 1/4 of the chips on the bottom of the slow cooker and top with 1/4 of the cheese. Top with 1/3 of the meat, then 1/4 of the béchamel. Repeat two more times, ending with the chips. Top with the cheese. Cook on slow for four hours.
To serve, top with cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve with sour cream at the table.