- 2 carrots
- 4 ears fresh corn, shucked
- 2 heads Belgian endive, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro (about 3 ounces), leaves only
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Bottom-of-the-bag tortilla chip bits
Grill the veggies. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Cut the carrots in half then cut the smaller end of the carrots into fourths lengthwise and the larger half into sixths or eighths. The key is to make all the spears about the same size. Place the carrot spears, corn and endive on a baking sheet or cutting board, and drizzle all sides with olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Place the vegetables on the grill, the endive’s flat side down first, and cook until charred on all sides, 3-4 minutes total for the endive, 5-6 minutes for the corn and 10-12 minutes for the carrots. Remove from the grill and allow to cool.
Make the rest of the salad. In a medium serving bowl, combine the cilantro, red onion, feta, lime juice, cumin and cayenne pepper, and toss gently.
Add the veggies. Slice the endive crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces, chop the carrot spears, trim the kernels off the cobs and add everything to the serving bowl. Add the crunchy tortilla chip bits for crunch. Toss and taste, then add a pinch of salt, if needed. Serve at room temperature or chilled.