- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound ground chicken
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, about 1/4 teaspoon
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, moistened with 3 tablespoons milk
- 5 eggs, divided
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, a couple of fat handfuls
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Bring stock to a simmer. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and nutmeg, and combine with onion, garlic, breadcrumbs and 1 egg. Roll walnut-sized balls and drop them into the broth. Simmer meatballs in the broth for 7-8 minutes.
Whisk up 4 eggs with the cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir into the soup to make egg rags running throughout it. Take the soup off the heat, add scallions and lemon juice, and serve soup in shallow bowls.