Garlic-Herb Salmon en Croute with Fennel and Cucumber Salad
We're Gearing Up For The Biggest Day In Football With Brandon Co…
Rach's Lemon Risotto + The Best Deals For Valentine's Day Gifts …
Bob Harper Joins Rach For Pasta Night + Makeover For Viewer Who …
Rob Lowe On Working With His Son on 9-1-1 Lone Star + Rach's Roa…
Rob Lowe On His "West Wing" Pride + What It's Like Working With …
How To Make Instant Pot Sausage & Shells | 20 Minute Meal | Pres…
Prodigal Son's Tom Payne On His Covid Wedding: "We got married b…
What Are Rachael & John Reading Right Now? | Books To Read In 20…
How To Make Raw Mushroom & Escarole Salad | Rachael Ray
How To Make a Sage Advice Cocktail | John Cusimano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, cut into small dice
- Salt and pepper
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mixed minced herbs, such as chives, parsley, tarragon and dill
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or pasted
- 2 pounds skinless salmon filet
- 1 sheet puff pastry, preferred brand DuFour (available in freezer section of market),
- defrosted in refrigerator for 2 hours then gently rolled out on floured surface
- 1 large egg mixed with a splash of water
- Caperberries, for garnish, optional
For the Fennel and Cucumber Salad
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- About 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons superfine sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 2 small bulbs fennel, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 6 large radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- Fennel fronds and chopped herbs of choice for garnish
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, heat two turns olive oil and sauté mushrooms until browned. Season with salt and pepper, and cool.
For salmon, combine the cream cheese with herbs, lemon zest, garlic, salt and pepper. Halve salmon through the middle into 2 pieces of equal thickness. Season the salmon with salt and pepper.
Cut rolled dough into 2 pieces across the center, place 1 half sheet of dough on the baking sheet and center salmon on dough. Spread half of the cream cheese mixture on top of the salmon filet and top with other half of the salmon. Top with remaining cream cheese mixture and the cooled mushroom. Set pastry top in place and seal edges. Lightly score with cross hatch pattern on angle, being careful not to cut through dough. Bake 25 minutes, brush with egg wash and bake 20 minutes longer to cook salmon through and until the dough is puffed and brown.
For the salad, combine the crème fraiche with lemon juice, vinegar and EVOO to thin it out a bit. Season the dressing with sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Add the fennel and cucumber, radishes and onion, and toss to coat. Garnish with fronds and herbs of choice.
To serve, transfer salmon en croute to a serving board and slice. Serve hot or at room temperature with caperberries and salad alongside.