- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey (the average weight of one package), white and dark meat
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, half a palmful
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander, half a palmful
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound fresh Mexican chorizo removed from casing
- 1/2 cup grated Manchego cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs moistened in milk then squeezed of excess liquid
- 1 egg, beaten
- A drizzle olive oil
- 3 cups salsa verde, homemade or store-bought
- 1 1/2 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 1 cup crème fraîche or Mexican crema
- Shredded Cheddar or Manchego cheese
- Pickled red onions (in lime juice, salt and pepper)
- Pickled jalapeño rings
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped lettuce
- Thinly sliced radishes
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Combine turkey with seasonings and garlic, onion, Worcestershire, chorizo, cheese, breadcrumbs, egg and olive oil. Roll large, walnut-sized balls and bake on parchment-lined baking sheets until just cooked through, about 17-20 minutes.
Heat salsa and stock together, and stir in crème or crema. Slide in meatballs and keep warm in a pot over low heat or in a slow cooker.
Serves with warm, charred corn tortillas and/or slider-sized rolls or chunks of halved baguette and toppings.