- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into small dice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Pink Lady or Honeycrisp apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 2 round tablespoons curry powder (yellow/mild/madras)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (preferred brand Gerhardt’s)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes or chunky crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sweet mango chutney, preferred brand Patak’s
- 1/2 cup cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1 small bunch scallions, thinly sliced, whites and greens
- Small wedges of lime
Place rice and 1 1/2 cups stock in pot and bring to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon butter, reduce heat to low, cover and cook to tender, about 15 minutes.
Heat olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, in a soup pot over medium-high heat and add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to oil. When foam subsides, add butternut squash, onion, apples, celery, bay, salt, pepper, curry and chili powders, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cover and cook to tender, 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, remaining 4 1/2 cups stock and chutney; stir to taste and keep warm on low until ready to serve.
Line bowls with fluffed cooked rice and top with stoup and green onions, parsley or cilantro, and serve with small wedge of lime.