- 1 5-pack 10- to 12-inch, 12-ounce hot dogs (preferred brand Niman Ranch’s Fearless Franks or Brat Hans) or 8 good-quality, 6-inch beef, pork or vegan dogs
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 can vegetarian spicy refried beans
- 1/2 cup water
- About 1 teaspoon (a scant 1/3 palmful) ground cumin
- 5 8-inch corn or flour tortillas if using 10- to 12-inch dogs OR 8 6-inch corn or flour tortillas for 6-inch dogs
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded, easy-melting cheese such as Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, Chihuahua or cheddar cheese
- Natural cooking spray or a little extra cooking oil, for lightly brushing tortillas
- For the Pico de Gallo: (make your own or use store-bought salsa)
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Serrano or jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- A small handful cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup Mexican Crema or sour cream
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- Chopped lettuce
- Pickled jalapeño slices
- 1 small Hass avocado, dressed with lime juice
Heat a skillet with about an of inch water over medium-high heat. When the water boils, reduce heat to a low simmer and add hot dogs to gently heat through.
Heat an outdoor grill or griddle pan over medium-heat or preheat oven to 375°F.
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat with the oil, a turn of the pan. Add onions, garlic and Serrano peppers, and season with salt and pepper. Cook to soften a couple of minutes, stirring constantly. Add beans and water, and stir to combine; season with cumin.
Slather the tortillas with beans and top with cheese. Shake excess water from the dogs, place them on one end of tortillas then wrap and roll them. Spray flautas with cooking spray or lightly brush with oil and grill, griddle or bake until dogs are crispy at ends and the tortillas are golden and crunchy-looking.
If making the Pico de Gallo, combine red onions, Serrano or jalapeno and salt, and let sit a few minutes. Add in tomatoes and cilantro.
Stir together the Crema and mustard.
Place flautas on a bed of lettuce or scatter lettuce over them. Top with pico de gallo and a few pickled jalapeños, some yellow mustard crema and diced avocado dressed with lime.