- 6 slices smoky, meaty bacon, chopped, divided
- 1 large yellow or white onion, chopped, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch chard or flat kale (such as lacinato), stemmed and chopped (about 5 to 6 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil or canola oil, for drizzling and brushing
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander (about half a palmful)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (about half a palmful)
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 4 large, 10- to 12-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 1 8-ounce brick pepper Jack or Monterey Jack, shredded (about 2 cups)
- Sour cream
In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high, stirring often, until crispy, about 8 minutes. Add about three-quarters of the yellow onion and half the garlic; stir until the onion softens, 2-3 minutes. Add the greens and stir until wilted, 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl. Wipe the skillet clean and reserve.
In a small saucepan, heat a drizzle of oil over medium. Add the remaining yellow onion and garlic, and half the jalapeño; stir until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the coriander, cumin and cinnamon. Add the beans and season. Cover and keep warm over low heat.
For the pico de gallo, in a medium bowl, mix the remaining jalapeño, the red onion, tomatoes and cilantro; season with salt.
Brush the reserved skillet with a little oil; heat over medium-high. Add 1 tortilla to the skillet and cook until blistered, about 1 minute. Turn; cover half the tortilla with about 1/3 cup cheese, then top with a quarter of both the greens mixture and the bean mixture. Sprinkle with a few more tablespoons of cheese. Fold over and cook, pressing down and turning, until the cheese melts and the quesadilla is brown and crispy, 2-3 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and fillings.
Cut the quesadillas into quarters and top with the pico and sour cream.