- 1 cup drained hot giardiniera (Italian pickled vegetables)
- 1/4 cup Italian pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 4 kaiser rolls, split
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced mortadella, each slice folded into quarters
- 8 slices mild provolone or Cooper sharp American cheese
In a food processor, pulse the giardiniera and olives into a finely chopped relish.
Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high. Lightly butter the rolls. Press the cut sides onto the pan until evenly browned, 4-5 minutes. Add the folded mortadella to the skillet a few slices at a time and cook, turning with tongs, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side.
Top the outside of the roll bottoms with some relish. Add a slice of cheese, a few slices of mortadella, and another slice of cheese. Add the bun tops with the inside facing out. In the same skillet, melt the remaining butter over medium. When the butter foams, add the sandwiches and cook until the cheese melts, pressing down on the rolls until deep golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes per side.