- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- Chili flakes
- 2 1/2 pounds tomatoes or 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, puréed with a hand blender
- 1 1/2 chipotle in adobo, preferably just the sauce.
- A pinch dried oregano
- 2 large sprigs basil
- For the Eggs: 2 eggs, left at room temperature for an hour
- Basil chiffonade
- Grated Parmesan
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Maldon salt
- 2 pieces grilled bread
For the sauce, to a saucepot over medium heat, add olive oil, onions and garlic. Sweat for 10 minutes, until soft and tender. Add chili flakes and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, adobo sauce, oregano and basil sprigs, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 2 1/2 hours stirring frequently. Remove from heat, season with salt to taste.
Lightly poach eggs in simmering water.
In an ovenproof dish, spoon some of the tomato sauce, making a well in the center for the eggs. Season with a pinch of salt and top with some basil, parm and a drizzle of olive oil. Place in oven under the broiler until the sauce is bubbling and the top of the eggs are just set.
Serve with grilled bread alongside.