- 4 very, very ripe Kumato tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 sprig thyme
- 500 grams horseradish root, peeled and sliced fine
- 225 grams distilled white vinegar
- 200 grams water
- 1.5 ounces vodka or pepper vodka
- 1 teaspoon preserved horseradish
- 5.5 ounces tomato base (herbs removed)
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon Calabrian chili paste
- 1/4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 super tiny leaves basil
- 1 wedge English cucumber (about 4-inches long)
- Olive oil, as needed
- Black pepper, as needed
For the tomato base, grate the tomatoes using the coarse side of a box grater into a mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and let sit for 3 hours. Reserve.
Combine all ingredients for the horseradish in a blender. Purée until very smooth. Add more water if necessary; it should be just covered with liquid. Taste for seasoning—it should taste very strong.
Mix the cocktail ingredients together and pour over ice. Serve with garnishes.