Beef and Butternut Stew with Mustard Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips
Prodigal Son's Tom Payne Talks Season 2 + Rach's Maple Pork Chop…
How To Make Bacon-Cheddar Burgers with Dijon-Horseradish Sauce |…
Is The Covid Vaccine Safe? Dr. Ian On Why It's Worth The (Very S…
Soon-To-Be Mom of 6 On Relationship With Her Oldest Child: "I ca…
The Covid Vaccines Explained | Physician + "Doctors" Host Dr. Ia…
When Can You Get The Covid Vaccine? A Doctor Breaks Down Current…
Why You Should Still Get The Vaccine If You've Already Had Covid…
Chef Curtis Stone's Fried Chicken + Rachael's Chicken With Pears…
Sterling K. Brown On Filming Latest Season Of This Is Us + Rach'…
Rach's Bacon & Cheddar Burgers with Dijon-Horseradish Sauce + Al…
- 3 pounds trimmed beef chuck, cut into 2-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon English mustard powder
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup cloudy cider or light lager beer
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 small to medium butternut squash, peeled and seeded and cut into 2-inch cubes
- A little freshly grated nutmeg, about 1/4 teaspoon
- 2 leeks, halved lengthwise cut into 2-inch pieces
For the Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 5 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cut 2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- About 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) loosely packed, super-sharp white cheddar
- 2 teaspoons dry English mustard or 2 tablespoons prepared grainy Dijon mustard
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Bring meat to room temperature and season with salt and pepper. In a shallow dish, combine the flour with ground sage and granulated garlic and onion. Dredge meat to lightly coat.
Heat oil in a Dutch oven, 4 turns of pan, over medium-high heat and brown meat on all sides in two batches; remove to plate. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme, bay, salt and pepper to the pan and sweat 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, stir a minute, then add cider or beer and stir a minute. Add stock and reserved beef; cover and transfer to oven for 1 1/2 hours.
Remove pot from oven and add butternut squash and leeks. Stir, return to oven for another 45 minutes. Place stew on stove, keep warm and covered. Before serving, adjust seasoning and remove bay leaf.
In a pot, cover parsnips and potatoes with water by 3 to 4 inches. Bring to a boil, salt water and cook to tender, 15 minutes. Drain, return to hot pot and mash with chicken stock, milk and cheese. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and mustard.
Serve stew in shallow bowls over the mashed potatoes and parsnips.