- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 serrano peppers, sliced
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 3-inch strips lemon zest, removed with a vegetable peeler
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 pound (4 cups) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed if frozen
- 4 Gala apples (or other sweet, firm variety), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
In a medium saucepan, combine the onion, serrano chilies, brown sugar, red wine, lemon zest, coriander and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer then simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in the cranberries and apples, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the cranberries and onion have softened. The sauce will become a rich scarlet color.
Remove and discard the lemon zest. Let cool to room temperature before serving. You can cover and refrigerate the relish for up to 2 weeks.