- 2 pounds russet potatoes, scrubbed clean and cut into large chunks
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh sage chopped (optional)
- 4 slices fresh prosciutto, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely minced Italian parsley
- 1 cup whole milk or half-and-half, whichever you prefer
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese cut into small cubes (ideally about 2 cups)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
Boil potatoes until they can be pierced through with a fork. Drain and mash with a masher until smooth. If you want them REALLY smooth, peel off skin and put potatoes through a ricer.
While potatoes are boiling, melt butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions, sage and prosciutto. Sauté for about 5 minutes, remove from heat and set aside
In a bowl, add grated cheese and parsley to milk or half-and-half; set aside
Once potatoes are mashed, put them back into pot and set on stove over low heat. Add in prosciutto mixture and combine. Fold in mozzarella cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Add in milk/half-and-half mixture and blend well.
For a creamier mashed potato, add in milk or heavy cream a little at a time folding in until desired consistency is reached.