- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 8-ounce cans pineapple chunks, drained and liquid reserved
- 1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 to 1/2 cups walnut pieces, toasted
Place the potatoes, pineapple, 1/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice, the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter and molasses into a slow cooker. Toss to mix; ensuring the potatoes are completely coated.
Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, stirring gently every 30 minutes. Whisk the cornstarch and the remaining pineapple juice together in a bowl to make a slurry. Add the slurry to the potatoes, mixing gently but thoroughly, to combine. Simmer the potatoes for 3–5 minutes.
Before serving, carefully fold in the walnuts and avoid breaking apart the potatoes.