- 1 3-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces and skin removed
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup pure Spanish olive oil
- 1 onion, cut into small dice
- 1 green pepper, cut into small dice
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut into small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 12 ounces beer
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups Valencia rice, soaked in cold water for 1 hour
- 5 saffron threads
- 1 cup sweet peas
Preheat oven to 350°F. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and lime juice. In a paella pan, heat the olive oil. Brown the chicken then remove from the pan, and set aside.
Add the onions, peppers and garlic to the paella pan. Cook until translucent. Add the tomato sauce, cumin and bay leaf; cook for another 5 minutes. Add the browned chicken, wine, beer and sherry, and cook for 5-8 minutes. Add the stock, bring to a boil and adjust the seasoning. Add the drained rice and the saffron.
Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
Remove the rice from the oven and add the peas, fluffing the rice and mixing in the peas at the same time. Serve hot.