- Meat from a roast or rotisserie chicken, bones and skin discarded and meat pulled bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack or mild white cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 small red onion, peeled and very thinly sliced
- Juice of 2 limes, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 jalapeño or Serrano peppers, chopped
- 8 tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- A handful cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 12 corn tortillas
- Sour cream
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Combine chicken with half of each of the shredded cheeses. Dress red onions with juice of 1 lime, salt and pepper.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat, 2 turns of the pan. Add onions, garlic, peppers and tomatillos, and season with salt, pepper and cumin. Cook 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently until onions have softened and the tomatillos begin to break down. Purée half the tomatillos with stock, add back to pan with juice of remaining lime. Add cilantro and adjust salt and pepper.
Char the tortillas to soften and blister over gas burner or in an ungreased hot skillet.
Fill charred tortillas with chicken and cheese, roll up and place seam-side down in a casserole dish. Cover tortillas with sauce then dot with a little sour cream and top with remaining cheese.
Bake the enchiladas 30-40 minutes to golden. Top with red onions and serve.