- 12 slices meaty, smoky bacon
- 2 pounds 80% lean ground beef
- 2 shots whisky
- Kosher salt and black
- 1 22- to 28-ounce can spicy, smoky or sweet baked beans, preferred brand Bush’s
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 scallions, whites and greens, chopped
- Vegetable or olive oil, for drizzling
- Sliced sharp white cheddar or Cooper’s sharp/white American cheese, optional
- 12 soft slider rolls or 6 regular-size burger rolls
- Spicy brown mustard, preferred brand Gulden’s or one from your favorite deli
- 6 gherkin pickles, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake the bacon until crispy on a slotted pan, 18-20 minutes. Cool to handle and coarsely chop.
Combine beef and whisky, and liberally season with Kosher salt and coarse black pepper.
In a small saucepan, heat beans and mix with Worcestershire and green onions.
Heat a cast-iron skillet or griddle pan over medium-high heat.
Form 12 sliders or 6 entrée-sized patties and drizzle with oil. Cook slider patties 6 minutes turning once and entrée burgers 8 minutes, turning occasionally.
Top burgers with cheese, if using, and cover with loose foil to melt.
Lightly toast the rolls and spread mustard on the bottoms. Top with a burger or cheeseburger patty, some beans, chopped bacon and pickles, and set bun tops in place.