- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed at room temp for 30 mins
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove water
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- A few cranks of fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Preheat oven to 400°F. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water to make an egg wash; set aside.
In a small pan over medium heat, add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and sauté for about 3-4 minutes or until the onion starts to brown. Stir, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
Scrape the onion and garlic into a bowl, and mix in the spinach, using a fork to break it up. Add red pepper flakes, lemon zest, salt, pepper and feta; mix to combine.
Lay the puff pastry sheet on a cutting board and brush the entire surface with egg wash. Spoon the spinach mixture onto the puff pastry and distribute it evenly all the way to the edges, completely covering the puff pastry. Starting at one short end, roll the puff pastry up tightly like a jelly roll. Brush the roll with egg wash.
Slice into 1/2" thick pieces and lay pieces flat on a baking sheet that's been sprayed with non-stick spray. Brush tops with egg wash and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm on a platter.