- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 small bulb garlic, halved
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup cream or half-n-half
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Freshly grated white or black pepper, to your taste
Boil potatoes with salt, onion, bay, garlic until just tender. Drain, remove onion, bay and garlic cloves, and return potatoes to the hot pot.
Mash potatoes with butter, cream, ricotta, nutmeg, salt and white pepper. Cover and keep warm in simmering water bath or serve immediately.