- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 pound meaty pancetta or mild-flavored bacon, chopped
- 1 bunch green Vidalia, spring onions or 2 leeks, whites and greens chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or reserved starchy cooking water from pasta
- 2 cups fresh or organic frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 pound bucatini
- 1 bunch escarole or spring lettuces, coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 cup loosely packed combination mint and flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Freshly grated Pecorino, to serve
Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
Heat a large skillet with olive oil, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add pancetta or bacon and render 2-3 minutes; add onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper and stir 2-3 minutes more. Add wine and reduce heat to a simmer.
Drop pasta in liberally salted water.
When pasta has been cooking 5-6 minutes, add stock or pasta water and peas to sauce and heat through. Wilt in greens and season with salt and pepper.
Add lemon juice and pasta to sauce and toss with herbs. Adjust salt and pepper to your taste and serve topped with Pecorino.