This date and banana power breakfast smoothie is inspired by the traditional Mexican beverage, Horchata. Horchata is made by soaking rice and adding flavorings. Instead, make a heartier, healthier version using rolled oats.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into tiny pieces
- 4 cups water
- Agave nectar, as needed (between 3 tablespoons and ¼ cup)
- 1 cup lactose-free fat-free milk
- 1 banana
- 4 dates, pitted, plus 2 for garnish
- 2 cups ice
- Ground cinnamon, for topping
In a large pitcher, soak the oats, cinnamon and water for a minimum of 30 minutes. Blend the mixture (including the cinnamon) in a blender. Strain and sweeten with agave nectar, to taste.
Use 2 cups of Horchata for smoothie, you can refrigerate the rest and enjoy later. Combine 2 cups Horchata, lactose-free fat-free milk, banana, dates and ice in a blender and purée on high until smooth, about one minute.
Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon and garnish with a date. Best if served immediately. (Makes about 4 cups total.)