- 2 cups wild or baby arugula or baby kale leaves
- 2 cups basil
- 2 small cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cups chopped and seeded vine tomatoes (about 4 or 5 tomatoes)
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- For the Chicken Milanese: 4 6- to 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Flour, for dredging
- 3 large free-range organic eggs, beaten
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs or homemade coarse breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon each granulated garlic and onion
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons each fresh parsley and thyme
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Olive or canola oil, for shallow frying
- 2 lemons, halved and caramelized or cut into wedges
In a food processor, combine the arugula, basil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pulse-chop, then, with the machine running, stream in the EVOO to form a pesto-like sauce. In a bowl, toss the tomatoes and onion with the sauce. Reserve.
Butterfly and pound the chicken breasts into cutlets. Season the cutlets with salt and pepper on each side.
Place a cooling rack on a baking sheet to keep the cutlets warm while preparing them in batches.
Set up a breading station: Line up 3 shallow bowls on the counter. Spread the flour out in one, beat the eggs in the second and season with salt and pepper. In the third, mix the fine breadcrumbs, panko, Parm, granulated garlic and onion, red pepper flakes, toasted sesame seeds, oregano, fresh thyme and parsley and a few grates of nutmeg.
In a large pan, heat 1/8 to 1/4 inch of oil over medium to medium-high heat. Coat chicken in the flour and shake off the excess, then coat in the egg, drain the excess and finally coat evenly in the crumb mixture. Working in batches of 1 or 2 cutlets at a time, shallow-fry chicken on each side until deep golden. Keep warm in a oven while you fry the remaining cutlets. Serve the chicken topped with raw sauce and the caramelized lemon or lemon wedges alongside for squeezing.