Missed out on the Facebook Live action? Don't worry - you can still view it here: Facebook.com/TheRachaelRayShow
- 1/4 cup blanched sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 chicken breasts, butterflied and pounded to 1/4-inch thick
- 4 to 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped (Thanks to Amber for this suggestion!)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, picked and chopped
- 2 handfuls baby arugula, for garnish
- Store-bought balsamic drizzle, for garnish
Preheat oven to 250°F.
In a food processor, process together the almonds to very fine. Place them into a shallow baking dish along with the breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper. Add Parmigiano Reggiano and orange zest, and mix well with a fork.
Line up the rest of the breading station: Whisk eggs with a few tablespoons of water in a second dish and add flour, salt and pepper to a third.
In a large, shallow skillet, heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil over medium heat.
Season each chicken breast on both sides with salt and pepper, and dredge first in flour, then egg and finally in the breadcrumb mixture.
Once the skillet is hot and the oil is slightly rippling, carefully add one breaded chicken cutlet to the pan, keeping the heat at medium so that it cooks evenly and does not burn. After about 3-4 minutes, flip the chicken cutlet to cook on the other side, and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Once the cutlet is crispy and brown on both sides, slide it onto a cooling rack set on a rimmed baking sheet and keep warm in oven until ready to serve. Repeat with the second chicken cutlet.
While the chicken cutlets are cooking, make your bruschetta topper: Heat remaining 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil in a medium-large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add in garlic and jalapeño and cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in cherry tomatoes, stir to combine and cook for just 1-2 minutes, so that they soften but are not broken down. Stir in basil and parsley, and remove from heat.
Place one chicken cutlet on each plate, top with arugula, warm tomato sauce and a drizzle of balsamic.
* During the live video, a viewer suggested that we broil mozzarella on top of the cooked cutlet. We then topped the cheesy cutlet with the warm bruschetta. That was a genius suggestion, and we now suggest you try it!