- 1/2 cup ice
- 1/2 to 1 cup bottled water
- 1 28-ounce can peeled Italian tomatoes or 7 ripe tomatoes, peeled
- 1/3 seedless cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper or 6 Piquillo peppers in water, drained
- 2 ribs celery with leafy tops, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 fat clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- A small handful cilantro
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 piece stale white bread, crust removed and torn
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- Salt, to taste
- 24 large shrimp, deveined and tails left on
- Salt and pepper
- 2 shots tequila
- 2 limes, 1 juiced and 1 halved
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high.
Place ingredients for gazpacho in a high-powered blender (or do in 2 batches in food processor). Process to desired consistency.
In a mixing bowl, season shrimp with salt and pepper. Add tequila, lime juice, garlic, olive oil and Tabasco, and toss to coat. Grill shrimp 3 minutes on each side until shrimp are pink, firm and browned at edges. Grill lime halves cut-side down to mark then squeeze over shrimp.
Serve gazpacho in bowls or chilled frosted mugs with grilled shrimp alongside for dipping.