- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small to medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound spicy Italian chicken or turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 13-ounce bags frozen large, round ravioli
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large, cast-iron skillet. Once hot, add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until veggies are translucent. Add in sausage and brown and crumble using a wooden spoon or a potato masher for 3-4 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir to combine. Cook about a minute then deglaze the pan with wine. Add in stock and tomatoes, stir to combine and bring the sauce up to a bubble.
Using a kitchen spoon, transfer half of the tomato sauce into a separate bowl and reserve.
Smooth the remaining half of the sauce out on the bottom of the skillet and add 1 bag of ravioli in an even single layer, followed by half the mozzarella cheese and half the Parmesan. Add another layer using the rest of the sauce, the remaining bag of ravioli, remaining mozzarella and top with remaining Parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until top is bubbly and brown. Allow to set and cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.