Missed out on the Facebook Live action? Don't worry - you can still view it here!
The sauce can be used on chicken wings, chicken breast cutlets, ribs, or anything else you regularly serve with BBQ sauce. Stores in the refrigerator for up to a week in an airtight container.
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken wings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 large basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 pints strawberries, rinsed, stemmed and halved
- 1/4 cup red wine or chicken stock
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 small pinch crushed red pepper flakes
For the sauce, in a large saucepan, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Once the oil has melted down, add in strawberries, cook and caramelize, about 8-10 minutes. Deglaze with red wine or stock and cook about 2 minutes. Using a potato masher, mash the strawberries until they resemble a thick purée.
Add ketchup, maple syrup, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, granulated garlic and chili flakes to the strawberries and stir to combine. Bring to a bubble and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes to thicken, stirring occasionally.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Arrange chicken wings on a sheet tray and coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast the chicken wings in the oven for 12-14 minutes or until nearly cooked. Remove from oven and toss wings with BBQ sauce. Roast in the oven for an additional 5-6 minutes or until crispy and browned.
Arrange wings on a serving platter and garnish with chopped basil.