Missed out on the Facebook Live action? Don't worry - you can still view it here: Facebook.com/TheRachaelRayShow
The sauce can be used on chicken wings, chicken breast cutlets, ribs, or anything else you regularly serve with BBQ sauce. Stores in the refrigerator for up to a week in an airtight container.
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken wings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 large basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 pints strawberries, rinsed, stemmed and halved
- 1/4 cup red wine or chicken stock
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 small pinch crushed red pepper flakes
For the sauce, in a large saucepan, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Once the oil has melted down, add in strawberries, cook and caramelize, about 8-10 minutes. Deglaze with red wine or stock and cook about 2 minutes. Using a potato masher, mash the strawberries until they resemble a thick purée.
Add ketchup, maple syrup, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, granulated garlic and chili flakes to the strawberries and stir to combine. Bring to a bubble and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes to thicken, stirring occasionally.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Arrange chicken wings on a sheet tray and coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast the chicken wings in the oven for 12-14 minutes or until nearly cooked. Remove from oven and toss wings with BBQ sauce. Roast in the oven for an additional 5-6 minutes or until crispy and browned.
Arrange wings on a serving platter and garnish with chopped basil.