Red and Black Bean Chili and Sweet Potatoes
We're Gearing Up For The Biggest Day In Football With Brandon Co…
Rach's Lemon Risotto + The Best Deals For Valentine's Day Gifts …
Bob Harper Joins Rach For Pasta Night + Makeover For Viewer Who …
Rob Lowe On Working With His Son on 9-1-1 Lone Star + Rach's Roa…
Rob Lowe On His "West Wing" Pride + What It's Like Working With …
How To Make Instant Pot Sausage & Shells | 20 Minute Meal | Pres…
Prodigal Son's Tom Payne On His Covid Wedding: "We got married b…
What Are Rachael & John Reading Right Now? | Books To Read In 20…
How To Make Raw Mushroom & Escarole Salad | Rachael Ray
How To Make a Sage Advice Cocktail | John Cusimano
- 5 mild to medium heat dried chili peppers, a mix of Guajillo, Pasilla, New Mexican, Ancho and Mulato
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Natural cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) ground smoked paprika
- A little freshly grated nutmeg or a pinch of ground
- A pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 large or 2 medium white onions, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon (a scant palmful) cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) Mexican oregano
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can each red beans and black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper sauce
- Raw chopped onion, toasted pumpkin seeds, homemade or store-bought salsa, sour cream, cilantro, pickled jalapeños or jalapeño chips
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Seed and stem dried peppers and place them in a pot with 1 quart water. Bring to a boil and keep at a low, rolling boil for 30-40 minutes until very tender. Place in a food processor and process until smooth.
Place potatoes on baking sheet, spray with baking spray and season with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, nutmeg and cinnamon. Roast until tender and brown at edges, 20-25 minutes.
Heat a medium-size chili pot over medium-high heat with oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add onions, garlic, cumin, coriander, oregano, salt and pepper, and partially cover. Let soften 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently. Add diced tomatoes, beans, chili purée and hot sauce, and bring to a bubble. Adjust salt and add sweet potatoes; stir to combine.
Serve with toppings of choice.