- 1 head garlic
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cups pistachios, toasted and divided
- 2 1/2 cups kale or spinach, packed
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 pound cheese tortellini, cooked to package directions
- 1/2 cup marinated sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut off the top of the head of garlic and place on a piece of foil. Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil over the exposed garlic cloves and season with salt and pepper. Wrap tightly and roast for 40-45 minutes or until brown and caramelized. Cool and reserve.
In a food processor, lightly pulse pistachios. Remove 1/4 cup of pistachios and reserve. Add kale or spinach, basil, roasted garlic, Parmigiano-Reggiano, salt and pepper, and process until combined and almost smooth.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together pesto, tortellini, sun-dried tomatoes and reserved pistachios. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.