- 1 pound penne
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large hot Italian sausage, left in casing
- 1 large sweet Italian sausage, left in casing
- 2-3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups tomato puree, such a passata
- Garlic breadcrumbs, for serving
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Liberally salt the water and cook penne to al dente.
While the pasta cooks, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. With your fingers, break off little pieces of the sausage with its casing to form sausage meatballs, about 4-5 per sausage. Brown the sausage balls on all sides. Add garlic to the pan and cook until slightly brown; deglaze with white wine. Add tomato purée and cook until slightly reduced and the sausage meatballs are cooked through, about 4-5 minutes.
Toss hot penne with meatballs and sauce, and top with garlic breadcrumbs.