* I make my own cheese blend for this dish using a food processor to grate the cheese then mixing them together in a bowl so that when you cheese each layer of the taco lasagna the cheese is evenly distributed.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 whole jalapeño pepper
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 2 14.4-ounce cans diced tomatoes, one can drained
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese*
- 3 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese*
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese*
- 3 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup sour cream mixed with 2 tablespoons Mexican hot sauce, preferred brand Valentina
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced avocado
- Chopped green onion
- Chopped cilantro
Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add in veggie oil and sauté onion and jalapéno. Add in the ground chicken and season with chili powder, cumin, salt and cilantro. Let the chicken brown and cook through, then add in black beans and diced tomatoes. Simmer for about 10 minutes and then add in the chopped green onions. (You want to put the green onions in right when the pot is being taken off the heat to keep that nice crunch to the onion.)
For the lasagna, I recommend using a round dish or pan rather than a rectangle or square because the tortillas are round so why not go with the same shape. I use my 12-inch round cast iron skillet because the large, burrito-size flour tortillas fit perfectly in the iron skillet.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Place one tortilla on the bottom of the skillet and bake in the oven for 3-5 minutes to get it a little crunchy. Remove the skillet and spread a layer of chicken mixture then a layer of the cheese blend and another tortilla. Place the skillet back in the oven for about 3-5 minutes or until the top tortilla is a little crunchy, then add another layer of chicken mixture, cheese and one last tortilla. Bake 3-5 minutes to crisp up then spread a final layer of chicken and a layer of cheese. Bake another 20 minutes or until the cheese is brown and bubbly. Remove the taco lasagna from oven and top with sliced tomatoes, avacado, green onion, cilantro and hot sauce-sour cream. Enjoy!