- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 zucchini, seeded and sliced into 1/4-inch half moons
- 1 yellow squash, seeded and sliced into 1/4-inch half moons
- 2 ears fresh corn, kernels scraped from cob or 2 cups frozen corn, defrosted
- 2 jalapeño peppers, tops removed, halved, seeded and thinly sliced into small half moons
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chipotle in adobo, puréed or finely chopped with sauce
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Juice of 2 limes, zest of 1, divided
- A handful cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 2 avocados
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 6 10- or 12-inch flour tortillas
- 4 cups shredded melting cheese, such as Pepper Jack and/or cheddar
- Cooking spray
Heat a large skillet over medium-high to high heat. Add oil, 2 turns of the pan, then zucchini, squash and corn. Lightly brown veggies, 5 minutes, then add jalapeños, onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss 2-3 minutes more; add beans.
In a food processor, process chipotle in adobo with oregano, cumin, honey, juice of 1 lime and cilantro or parsley until smooth. Pour mixture into the skillet and stir to combine. Let the mixture come to a bubble then remove from heat.
Rinse out the food processor bowl and process avocados with zest and juice of remaining lime, salt and sour cream until smooth.
Over a burner or in a dry skillet over high heat, soften and lightly brown/blister tortillas on one side.
Build burritos: With blistered side of the tortillas facing up, arrange a layer of cheese and top with a log-shaped pile of filling using 1/6 of veggies. Tuck in sides of the tortilla and wrap and roll the burritos. Set burritos aside seam-side down and spray with cooking spray.
To brown and crisp burritos, heat a griddle over medium-high heat or heat an oven to 425°F. Griddle or bake the burritos on a baking sheet to brown and crisp. To serve, cut burritos in half and serve 3 halves per person topped with dollops of avocado cream.
White Chili Burritos
Mitt & Ann Romney's Sweet Pork Burritos
Quick Chicken Suiza Burritos