- 1 Jack-O-Lantern, large enough to hold your fondue pot and stand
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Emmenthaler cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Kirschwasser cherry brandy
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- White pepper or cayenne, a pinch to taste
- Baby skinless hot dogs (preferred brand Hebrew National)
- Marbled rye bread, cubed
- Blanched broccoli
- Blanched asparagus, white and green
- Blanched green beans
- Pretzel rods
Rub the inside of a small pot with the smashed garlic clove then discard.
Add wine to the pot and bring up to a bubble over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the cheese in handfuls. Stir constantly, melting the cheese as you add it, stirring in a figure-eight pattern with a wooden spoon.
When all the cheese has been fully incorporated, stir the cornstarch into the brandy with a fork until smooth; add brandy mixture into the cheese slowly. Add the lemon juice and season the fondue with nutmeg and white or cayenne pepper, to taste.
Transfer the fondue to a fondue pot and place it on the stand inside the Jack-O-Lantern.
Jacques Pepin's Fondue with Pesto
Healthier Cheese Fondue with Pretzels & Veggies