This lower-fat version of classic sweet potato casserole is perfect for family and friends who enjoy some healthy options around the Thanksgiving table.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, divided
- 10 to 12 grates fresh nutmeg, about 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt and pepper
- 3 bananas, about 2 cups, sliced on a bias
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
Fill a large pot with cold water. Add sweet potatoes and place over high heat. Bring the potatoes to a boil and cook until fork-tender. Drain well and return potatoes to the warm pot. Add buttermilk, 1/4 cup maple syrup, nutmeg, salt and pepper, and mash well with a potato masher.
Transfer mashed sweet potatoes to a casserole dish and spread out in an even layer. Shingle bananas on top of the mashed sweet potatoes and drizzle with remaining 1/2 cup maple syrup. Broil the sweet potato casserole until bananas begin to caramelize, about 2-3 minutes. Remove and top with toasted pecans.