- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the topping
- 1/2 cup sliced smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Place a saucepan over a medium heat and add canola oil. Stir in onions, celery, garlic and thyme, and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in sweet potatoes and maple syrup, and sauté 2-3 minutes more. Add the breadcrumbs and chicken stock, and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Transfer to a greased slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 3-4 hours.
Place the bacon lardons in a pan over a high heat and cook for 7-8 minutes, until crisp. Set aside. Lightly toast the pecans and set aside.
Serve stuffing sprinkled with crispy bacon and topped with toasted pecans.
Chorizo, Cornbread & Roasted Poblano Stuffing
Apple, Celery and Onion Stuffing
Kelsey Nixon’s Slow Cooker Thanksgiving Herbed Stuffing