- 3 tablespoons peanut or corn oil
- 2 1/2 cups 1-inch pieces stale country bread
- 1 tablespoon crushed and finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard (I use Meaux pommery mustard)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup peanut or corn oil
- For the salad: 1 large head romaine lettuce, picked of damaged leaves and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces, washed and dried (about 10 cups lightly packed)
For the croutons: Heat the oil in a large skillet. When it is hot, add the bread and sauté for about 4 minutes, until nicely browned on all sides. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
For the dressing: Combine the garlic, salt, pepper, mustard, vinegar and oil in a bowl suitable for serving the salad.
When ready to serve, add the lettuce to the bowl and toss with the dressing. Sprinkle with the croutons and serve immediately.
Oprah Winfrey's Garden Greens with Lemon Vinaigrette
Kayla Itsines' Fattoush Salad
Curtis Stone’s Frisee and Apple Salad with Ale Vinaigrette and Rye Croutes