- 3/4 pound (12 ounces) extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 3 cups)
- 6 ounces Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (half a palmful) ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pimentón (smoked sweet paprika)
- About 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 small onion, grated or minced, with its juice
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chilies, drained
Combine cheeses and toss with cornstarch and dried spices. Place cheeses in a heavy-bottomed pot and add milk. Place pot over medium-low heat and stir to melt, 10-15 minutes. Add onions, garlic and chilies, and reduce heat to low. Stir to combine flavors and cook onions, 10 minutes more. Keep warm over low heat, stirring occasionally for 1 hour or serve in slow cooker on low setting.
Serve queso on hot dogs garnished with jalapeño chips or pickled jalapeños; build nachos with spiced ground beef or crumbled Mexican chorizo; serve with jicama, radishes and celery hearts for dipping; use as a topping for crispy Tater Tots hot from the oven or slather the queso on grilled corn.
Poblano and Chicken Nachos with Queso and Raw Salsa Verde
Queso Dip Mac 'n Cheese