- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 cups white Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Coarse black pepper
- 3/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, divided
- 12 slices meaty bacon
- 4 anchovy filets, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- About 3/4 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup (a handful) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 hearts or 1 large head Romaine, chopped
- 1/2 cup smoked blue cheese, crumbled
Preheat oven to 350°F. For the croutons, heat a medium-size skillet over medium heat with oil. Melt butter into oil then add garlic and swirl for a minute or two; toss bread cubes in garlic butter. Arrange croutons on a baking sheet and season with black pepper and 1/2 cup Pecorino. Bake croutons to deeply golden brown, remove and reserve.
Raise oven temp to 375°F.
Arrange bacon on a slotted baking sheet or broiler pan and bake to crisp, 18 minutes. Cool to handle then chop into 1-inch pieces.
For the dressing, place anchovies, Dijon, Worcestershire, garlic, lemon juice, pepper and egg yolk in a food processor, and stream in EVOO while machine is running. Add Parm and remaining 1/4 cup Pecorino, and pulse to combine.
Wash and dry lettuce, coarsely chop and place in a large salad bowl. Add croutons, chopped bacon and blue cheese crumbles; toss with dressing to coat and serve.
Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad
Jeanette’s Lightened-Up Caesar Salad