- 1 bunch Tuscan kale
- 1 pound linguini or spaghetti
- 1/3 cup (about 6 turns of the pan) EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus a drizzle for almonds
- 6 to 8 anchovy filets
- 6 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth, white wine or seafood stock
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced almonds
- 1 sprig fresh oregano, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
Remove stalks from the greens and discard. Slice leaves very thinly across and reserve.
Bring a pot of water to a boil for pasta. Once boiling, salt the water and cook pasta to 1 minute shy of al dente, reserving 1 cup of starchy water just before draining.
Heat a very large skillet with EVOO, 6 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Melt anchovies into oil until they completely break down then turn heat back a little and add garlic and chili flakes. Stir a minute, add vermouth, wine or stock then wilt in kale and turn heat to low.
In a smaller skillet, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium heat. Chop nuts and add to pan to toast. When nuts are golden, season with oregano, lemon zest and salt.
Toss pasta and starchy cooking liquid with kale and garlic oil, and adjust salt and chili flakes to taste. Serve pasta in shallow bowls topped with chopped toasted nuts.
Spaghetti with Sausage, Mushrooms and Fennel
BLC Spaghetti - Bacon, Leek, Chard and Walnuts with Farro Spaghetti
Spaghetti with Broccoli Rabe and Salami