- 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound ground chicken
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons thyme, finely chopped
- 1 yellow or orange spring carrot, peeled and cut into 1-inch matchsticks or grated
- 1 rib celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 1 leek, halved lengthwise, cleaned, whites and light greens thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh shelled peas (optional)
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle or fettuccine
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- A couple handfuls grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus some to pass at table
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat with EVOO, 1 turn of the pan. Melt butter into oil then add chicken and brown and crumble. Season chicken with salt, pepper and fresh herbs; add carrots, celery, leeks and garlic, and cook 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in tomato paste and cook for couple minutes. Add wine and reduce a minute; add stock and reduce heat to a low simmer. Add peas, if using, and let simmer sauce while the pasta cooks.
Salt boiling water liberally then drop pasta and cook 1 minute less than al dente per package directions. Reserve about 3/4 cup starchy, salty water before draining pasta.
Add lemon zest and juice to sauce.
Add pasta to sauce and vigorously toss with some starchy water, a drizzle of EVOO and the cheese for 1 minute to coat. Serve in shallow bowls with additional cheese at the table.
Pasta Ribbons with Peas, Prosciutto, Cream and Spring Pesto
Pasta Primavera with Saffron Cream
Chicken Chili Cowboy Spaghetti