Steak with Three-Pepper Bomba and Braised Greens
We're Gearing Up For The Biggest Day In Football With Brandon Co…
Rach's Lemon Risotto + The Best Deals For Valentine's Day Gifts …
Bob Harper Joins Rach For Pasta Night + Makeover For Viewer Who …
Rob Lowe On Working With His Son on 9-1-1 Lone Star + Rach's Roa…
Rob Lowe On His "West Wing" Pride + What It's Like Working With …
How To Make Instant Pot Sausage & Shells | 20 Minute Meal | Pres…
Prodigal Son's Tom Payne On His Covid Wedding: "We got married b…
What Are Rachael & John Reading Right Now? | Books To Read In 20…
How To Make Raw Mushroom & Escarole Salad | Rachael Ray
How To Make a Sage Advice Cocktail | John Cusimano
“Bomba is a spicy condiment made with Calabrian chili peppers. This version combines pepper paste, pickled peppers and roasted sweet peppers, making it similar to Romesco sauce. It is designed to complement grilled meats and thickly cut grilled swordfish.”
- About 1/4 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 12 cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 small/baby eggplant, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 field (mild) red peppers
- Hot pickled Italian cherry peppers, chopped or buy sliced and finely chop (I use Cento) plus about 2 tablespoons vinegary juice from the jar
- 1/4 cup Calabrian chili paste
- About 1/3 cup peeled hazelnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 anchovy filets, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth
- 1 large head escarole, coarsely chopped or shredded
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped or shredded
- Salt and pepper, freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lemon
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds (4 portions) hanger steak, flank steak or flat-iron steak, at room temperature
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- A few sprigs fresh rosemary or thyme
Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat with EVOO. Add mushrooms and brown; add eggplant, shallots and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and stir to soften, 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Char and blister red peppers over a flame or under broiler. Place in a bowl, cover tightly with foil and let cool. Peel, seed and finely chop peppers by hand or in a food processor.
In a bowl, combine hot pickled peppers, their juice, the mushrooms and eggplants, chopped roasted red peppers and the nuts. Adjust seasoning and add EVOO to your desired thickness.
For the greens, heat EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium heat in a large skillet. Melt anchovy filets into oil, stir in garlic and cook 1 minute; add vermouth then wilt greens into pan; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add stock and reduce heat to simmer. Braise greens 20-30 minutes. Before serving, douse greens with lemon juice.
For the steaks, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pat steaks dry then season with salt and pepper. Add a drizzle of EVOO to the hot pan and cook steaks 8 minutes, turning occasionally. Reduce heat and melt butter. Add garlic and rosemary or thyme and swirl it in the butter, spoon butter over steaks to baste for 1 minute then remove steaks from pan and let rest.
Slice steaks against the grain and fan out the pieces on plates. Place a hearty smear of bomba on the steak and serve greens alongside or in side dish for serving at the table.
Sliced Hanger Steaks with Horseradish Gremolata & Portobellos with Onions & Worcestershire
Hanger Steaks with French Onion Sauce
Hanger Steak with Pepperonata and Garlicky Spinach