- 2 pounds sustainable, firm, white-fleshed fish, such as mahi mahi, cod or halibut
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin, smoked paprika and coriander
- Chipotles in adobo with their sauce (anywhere from 4 for moderate heat to 1 whole 7-ounce can for extra-spicy)
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon honey or light agave
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 inch ginger root, grated
- Natural olive or vegetable oil spray, for grill
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 shots silver or gold tequila
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup white or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey, light agave or super-fine sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 head white or red cabbage, very thinly shredded
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cilantro leaves or parsley tops, chopped
- 1 cup crema or sour cream
- 1 ripe Haas avocado, pitted and peeled
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Crumbled Queso Fresco
- Pickled jalapeño slices
- Chopped cilantro or parsley
- Lime wedges
Season the fish with cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, salt and pepper. In a food processor, purée chipotle in adobo with lime zest and juice, honey or light agave, oil, garlic and ginger. Pour over fish to coat.
Preheat grill, griddle or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
For slaw, whisk up tequila, lime juice, vinegar, honey or agave or sugar, oil, salt, pepper and celery seed. Combine cabbage, onions and cilantro or parsley in a mixing bowl then pour dressing over and toss to coat.
Rinse out processor and add crema or sour cream, avocado, lime juice, salt and cumin; process until smooth.
Spray grill, griddle or skillet with cooking spray and cook fish to opaque and browned, about 6-7 minutes, occasionally turning gently with a fish spatula.
Char tortillas over open flame, on grill or in dry skillet over high heat. Break fish into chunks. Assemble tacos with fish, slaw, crema and toppings of choice.
Fish Tacos with Quick Slaw, Avocado Sauce and Green Rice
Beer-Battered Fish Tacos
White Chili Turkey Tacos